Identity Theft

IRS  Identity Theft Affidavit – Form 14039

If someone has used your Social Security number (or your children’s social security numbers) to file an income tax   return, get a job or to obtain credit, your first step is to alert the authorities as soon as possible and advise them that you have been the victim of identity theft. You should also put a credit freeze and a credit alert on all credit reports.

Identity theft is one of the hardest crimes to protect against, for both citizens and the government. Many victims are usually in the dark, at least at first, that they have been targeted. If someone is fraudulently using your social security number, you might receive notices from the IRS or changes to refund claims.

If you have been a victim of identity theft or you suspect you may be a potential victim of fraud, besides following the steps above, you should also complete IRS Form 14039, an Identity Theft Affidavit, available at, This will inform the IRS that someone has used your Social Security number and as a result your current and future  income taxes may be impacted.

Upon completion of the form, you will be required to submit documentation such as a passport, driver’s license, social security card, or another federal or state-issued government ID card to prove to the IRS that you are who you say you are.

Actual or potential victims should seek further advice also found on